Thursday, March 10, 2011

The List

I'm trying to build a list of books that I think my daughters should read. It isn't supposed to be the 100 best books ever written, but more of a list of 100 books that will give my girls a well rounded appreciation for the world they live in. As such, I have a few categories that I want to fill, but I also want to make sure I have a significant "Miscellaneous" section.

I made a non-comprehensive list of things about humanity that I want the list to touch on (that's right, a list for my list). They include creativity, intelligence, emotion, spirituality/morality, curiosity/exploration, and brutality/war. Additionally, I want the authors and subject matter to cover the globe. These books will be a combination of well written stories and ideas that have had a profound impact on how the world thinks, speaks, acts, and is structured.

It is also worth noting that I will try to avoid long tedious works as much as possible. So for example, I'm reading the Wealth of Nations right now. It is a book that has clearly had a profound impact on the world, but it is long and tedious. I want my daughters to enjoy reading this list as much as possible.

I haven't read most of these yet, but it is a first crack at what I think might be on the final list with quite a bit of space for additions. I would love your comments or suggestions as I gradually piece this together. As I read these and other books, I will post my reviews on this blog.


The Cultured 100


North American Literature (target of 20 books)
  • Huckelberry Finn - Twain
  • A Hemmingway Novel - maybe. I need a good suggestion on what his best ones are.
  • The Red Badge of Courage - Crain
  • The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
  • The Grapes of Wrath or Of Mice and Men - Steinbeck
  • Fahrenheit 451 - Bradbury
  • The Call of the Wild - London
  • Catch 22 - Heller
  • To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee
  • Ulysses - Joyce

European Literature (15)
  • Pride and Prejeduce - Austin
  • Great Expectations - Dickens
  • Heart of Darkness - Conrad
  • The Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
  • Kim or Captains Courageous - Kipling
  • The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky
  • One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Solzhenitzyn
  • The Trial or Metamorphosis- Kafka
  • Hamlet - Shakespeare
Asian Literature (10)
  • Dream of the Red Chamber - Cao Xueqin
  • The Tale of the Genji - Shikibu

South American Literature (5)
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude - Marquez
  • The Devil to Pay in the Backlands - Rosa
Middle East Literature (5)
  • One Thousand and One Nights - ??
  • Cities of Salt - Munif
  • Palace Walk - Mahfouz
  • The Rose Garden (Gulistan) - Saadi
African Literature (5)
  • Cry, The Beloved Country - Paton
  • Things Fall Apart - Achebe
  • Epic of Sundiata - ??
Science Fiction (2-5)
  • Dune - Herbert
  • The Lord of the Rings - Tolkein
Classics (5)
  • Illiad - Homer
  • Odyssey - Homer
  • Aenid - Virgil
  • Republic - Plato
Exploration (2-5)
  • Kon Tiki - Heyerdahl
  • Endurance - Worsley
  • Through the Dark Continent - Stanley
Spirituality/Morality (6)
  • The Epic of Gilgamesh
  • The Bible - Judaism/Christiantity/Islam
  • The Analects of Confusius
  • Bhagavad Gita - Hinduism
  • Dhammapada - Buddism
  • Quran - Islam
Political/Social/Philosophical (5)
  • The Art of War - Sun Tzu
  • The Prince - Machiavelli
  • Nietzsche?
  • The Declaration of Independence, US Constitution, and Federalist Papers
  • The Communist Manifesto - Marx/Engel
Miscellaneous
  • Origin of the Species - Darwin
  • Sherlock Holmes - Doyle
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
  • Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Brown
  • Silent Spring - Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment